12/15/09

Submarine Update

Here it is, my boat cradle. It's surprising how much work was needed for me to get to this point. Below the cradle I'll add a shelf to place the WTC (Water Tight Chamber). This is the first time I've managed to put both the bow and aft sections, of the external hull, in the same place at the same time. The aft section still needs sanding, and a little shaping.

It strikes me that I haven't picked a color for the boat yet. Yellow seems traditional, yet such a cliche. All suggestions are welcome.

I've got a few ideas how to measure the amount of water in the ballast tanks. I'm considering adapting the measured capacitance method used in the athletic equipment that is sensitive to a finger, yet ignores inanimate objects. I need to experiment with this a little. The other method involves putting multiple probe arrays into each ballast tank and measuring the resistance between the probes. This will work, but will require a sub-processor for each ballast tank to get accurate readings. I'm really hoping the capacitance method will work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment