3/25/10

Balsa Styracosaurus


While this looks a bit rough for my taste, it's not bad for a 3rd grade student. Balsa wood cut on the band saw, and hand sanded for details. We weren't able to find any pictures from the top down, so getting an idea what the pelvis/hip looked like from that angle was best-guess. The left front leg is articulated so it can be posed. The neck/head as well. The pelvis has both right and left bones. The hind legs have only 2 toes, but do have tibia and fibula bones. I told her that she should tell her classmates that the various scratches were a result of the fossilization process, and that this is in fact a baby styracosaurus. She had fun making it, and is already talking about next year. Makes me wish I had science fair when I was 8. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment